Who is a beta reader?
A beta reader gives detailed feedback to a writer on their piece of work (finished or unfinished). This helps the author improve their manuscript in terms of plot, characters, world-building, pacing, and writing style.
What will I do as a beta reader?
- Read your manuscript as a reader, not an editor or writer. I will tell you what I liked, disliked, and what could be improved. This will help you understand what will appeal to readers once your work is out there.
- I will not proofread or edit your manuscript. That’s a separate service and details can be found here. I will correct minor errors if I spot them.
- I will read your manuscript thoroughly and provide detailed feedback on each aspect in the following ways:
- Provide you a document with my thoughts and suggestions for improvement.
- Leave comments in the document highlighting passages that are well-written and those that are not, good and bad dialogue, etc.
- You can choose to have both comments in your manuscript and a report with my feedback and suggestions, or either of them.
- I will answer any questions you have regarding the manuscript. Some authors provide a questionnaire to the beta reader. I will fill it if you choose to provide one.
Why hire me?
- I’m an avid reader and writer. I’m also pursuing a degree in English Literature.
- I have reviewed more than 100 books. You can check out my reviews here. My experience as a reviewer has made me aware of the mistakes writers make, what readers love and hate in a book, and how a manuscript can be polished.
- I have a keen eye for details.
- I stick to deadlines.
- I will provide brutally honest feedback. I will not bash your manuscript at all. My goal is to only give constructive feedback to help you improve your work.
- Send me an email with your page or word count and I will tell you the rates. The time frame will be discussed accordingly.
- The payment must be made in advance
Interested? Send me the book blurb (what it’s about) and the page or word count at email@example.com
Read what writers have said about my beta reading service!
Submit your review
I engaged Tavleen for a beta-reading assignment for my (yet unpublished) novel. Tavleen did a great job with the review - her recommendations were thoughtful and gave me enough food for thought on improving the novel. Would definitely recommend Tavleen for her review/ beta-reading services. Wishing her the best
Tavleen Kaur was a fantastic beta reader for me. Her critique and feedback was very constructive and thoughtful, which really supported me to improve my writing. I look forward to working with Tavleen Kaur again.
As a new writer to the beta reader's world, its daunting to have your worked marked with a red pen but Tavleen Kaur has made that transition as smooth as the transitions she made between my scenes. I hope to collaborate with her again, soon and rely on her expertise in refining my work!
The observations and points raised by Tavleen proved insightful and valuable for my book. Her detailed and systematic approach to the story was commendable and the best a writer can get.
Tavleen does, indeed, have an eye for detail. She asks pertinent questions regarding the work, demonstrating that not only does she read what is before her, she thinks about it and can give what any writer needs, that is, a fresh prespective.