Hi everyone! I wish all of you a very very Happy New Year! May you never run out of books to read.
This post is so hard to write. I guess that’s because I have to reflect back on the last 12 months and write it down. It is difficult but it also feels like it needs to be done. I’m gonna talk about a lot of things here so let’s get started.
How was 2017 for me?
I don’t know whether to say that it was a bitter sweet year or just bitter. In my personal life, this was one of the toughest years I’ve had. I won’t go into detail but I’ll just say there was a lot of loneliness, anxiety and stress and I’m glad its over. Its also my last year of school so there are a lot of changes waiting for me. Let’s all hope 2018 is much much better.
In terms of reading, I’ll say it was an okay year. I read a total of 65 books. Its the least number of books I’ve read in a year but that’s okay since my focus was not on the numbers. I spent the majority of this year reading review books and because of that, I feel like I missed out on a lot of other books.
Enough with the bad stuff, I’m gonna make a list of all the good things that happened this year.
- My book collection grew enormously! I bought and received many amazing books this year. Thanks to all the authors and publishers and all the people who host giveaways for their generosity.
- I am very proud to say that I consistently worked on this blog this year for the most part. I’m very grateful to all of you who read my posts.
- Travelling Through Words completed 2 years in December!! I can’t believe its been two years since I started blogging. I have a long way to go still but I’m definitely sticking around for as long as I can. This blog means the world to me.
- Bookstagram. This one word sums up a lot. Joining Bookstagram was another great decision I made. I made some really really awesome friends and had great conversations with them. I progressed as a reader because of bookstagram. Its a warm and wonderful place and I’m so glad to be a part of it.
- I didn’t stick to just one genre this year and read many.
- I read a lot of books by Indian authors which I hadn’t before.
- I bought my own copies of the Harry Potter series! I still need to get Deathly Hallows but I’m going to include this here anyway. I managed to collect the original editions of the series from used book shops throughout the year. I’m so happy to finally have these books in my collection.
2017 Reading Challenges
I decided to participate in 3 reading challenges in 2017. You can check out the full post here.
Brunch Book Challenge
- Read 36 books in 2017- As I already mentioned, I read 65 books
- Read at least six books by Indian authors, or those centered on India- 28 books out of 65 were by Indian authors.
The other two challenges were Read My Own Damn Books and 0 By 18. I didn’t completely fail at these two but I didn’t do well either.
Books From my TBR List
Earlier on the year, I made a list of books I wanted to read by the end of the year. You can check it out here. There were a total of 24 books. I managed to read 10 books out out of this list. I couldn’t read a few and decided not to read the rest.
Goals for 2018
- Finish a fantasy series – Its been ages since I read a complete fantasy series and I want to do that this year. I’ll either start a new one or finish one.
- Read more poems or poetry collections (Atleast 5)- I always forget to read some poetry.
- No Goodreads Challenge this year- I’m not aiming for a particular number this year. I just want to read good books and reduce my tbr pile.
- Exercise regularly and change my sleeping routine. I have a very messed up sleeping schedule but I really want to change it to ‘early to bed, early to rise’.
- Take less review copies.
That’s it! How was 2017 for you and what are your goals for 2018? Let me know down below!
Follow me on Instagram where I am the most active | Twitter | Goodreads
0 thoughts on “2017- Reading Year In Review”
It felt really awesome reading your reading year 2017 !!!
Even i was thinking why your goodreads is showing 1 book 😂 … I thought you are planning to read one biggggggg book in 2018
Thank you! Haha the year I read just one book will be a really bad year.
You had such a great reading year! I want to read another fantasy series this year as well!
Thank you! Hopefully, we’ll both read one 😁
I have to work on the taking less review copies one. I definitely have too many to review, and if I only read review copies then I don’t have many people to talk to about my books. I am going to have to read several popular books this year in order to have more people to talk to.
I can relate 🙂 Good luck with your goal too. Hope you read some good books!
A very mature and honest outlook. It’s 2020 and you’re on a rollercoaster that only goes up my friend. No, actually, I believe it’s important to remember that healing + progress are not linear. Love xoxo